The Best Stovetop Popcorn
It's finally Friday y'all! I don't know about you, but around here the short weeks always seem like the longest ones. So as a ode to Friday, I wanted to pop in with a "recipe" that we make around here all the time. For snack time, for on the go, and my personal favorite - Netflix + Chilling.
Now to call this a recipe is almost comical. It's more of a method... kind of like my fav Cold Brew recipe. But this stuff beats the stuff in a bag every single time, takes the same amount of time to make, and is wayyy easier on the wallet. (Not to mention it's a lot better for you, too). And I promise, besides maybe the kernels, you have everything you already need in your kitchen. No fancy air poppers required.
Awesome Stove Top Popcorn
Serves: 2+ | Time: 5 Minutes
- 1/3 cup popping corn (I get plain, no seasoning or added salt. I highly suggest only buying the stuff you season yourself!)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (My personal fav, but you can use any oil with a high smoke point. Just don't use butter! It'll burn!)
- Salt to taste - about 1/2 tsp is plenty
- In a large dutch oven, melt coconut oil over high heat with 4-6 kernels in the bottom of the pan.
- Once those kernels have popped, your oil is ready. Add in the rest of the kernels and REMOVE from the heat for 20-30 seconds, and keep the pan moving so the kernels heat evenly.
- Return back to medium heat and place lid over pan. Let sit while the kernels pop, until there are 10ish seconds between pops. Remove from pan immediately into separate bowl to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle with salt or whatever seasonings you like. You may, at this point, add a little butter if you have to have the taste. Personally, I like the freshness of the coconut oil and a little coarsely ground sea salt sprinkled on top.
- Enjoy! And if you want to get really crazy, drizzle some melted chocolate and caramel over the top. Yummmmm
This recipe is one I can make in my sleep. All of the guys like it, even the dog, and it's a healthier snack than lots of the crackers and things that tend to be their go-to. And even though this requires a smidgen more effort than toss in the microwave popcorn, the result is well worth it. And bonus points - almost no kernels left behind!
Jude's face in that first picture, though. I can't. Just can't, I hope you have a most amazing weekend this weekend! I'm off for a very very short trip to Denver to hug the necks of some really special people.